Ron Wilson fard and other type news
- Ron Wilson got fired. I like that complacency isn't covering it anymore, however, I feel this was a move that made sense after last year's exit, but that he wasn't at fault for this year's elimination. It'll almost definitely be a step backwards for the team in the immediate future, if they somehow advance to or past the second round in 2008/09, my expectations will have been exceeded.
- Sharks raised ticket prices. In other news, the sun rose, then it set, and my dog peed on the lawn. They still somehow didn't "break even", so season ticket holders have to an increasing amount of money for a product that is staying stagnant. That doesn't sound right.
- Dallas tried to one up the Sharks. After dropping the first three games to the Wings in "God we really suck" fashion, the Stars won Games 4 and 5 to make things a bit interesting before dropping Game 6 in that familiar sucky fashion, ending their season with nary a banner to show for it. (Editor's note: yes, I'm bitter that the Stars knocked the Sharks out, but hey, when it's all said and done for this year, both teams were losers, but we get a division banner and they get bupkis).
- Evgeni Nabokov is god. They say Jesus Saves, I say, yes, Nabby does save. A lot. After making the save of the playoffs in the losing effort of the 4OT Game 6 against Dallas, Nabokov went to Quebec City to play for Russia in the World Championships, where he compiled a 5-0 record with a 1.78 Goals Against Average, a 9.29 Save %, 2 Shutouts, and a Gold medal for his efforts. Congrats on a great season of hockey Nabby, the Vezina isn't far away.
- State of the Sharks. This was actually pretty cool, as we found out the team has put in bids for the ASG (it's thought to be around 2012 or 2013), NHL Entry Draft, and NCAA Frozen Four. We also found out Doug Wilson is still pissed about the Raffi Torres on Milan Michalek hit from the '06 playoffs. Helpful.
- Jeremy Roenick is coming back for another year. This was announced at the State of the Sharks, but he deserves his own bullet point. JR is the man, he deserves the C (maybe not on this squad, but it would be a beautiful gesture by the new coach and by Marleau to give it up), and he deserves a Cup. Now the team has to go get it for the old man. This also means the "JR 509" sign will see another year. Hope it gets to go increase.
- Stanley Cup Finals begin Saturday, with the Pittsburgh Penguins visiting the Detroit Red Wings. Pittsburgh has the O, Detroit is bringing the D. Should be a good series, although I'm predicting that the Cup goes to the Motor City after just 5 games.
- It's not October yet. The Giants suck. The Stealth have been eliminated. The SaberCats are mediocre. I hate the A's. It's gonna be a long summer. On the bright side, I do have my new internship, with the San Francisco Dragons of Major League Lacrosse. The Dragons are 0-1, but are poised to have a good year. They are playing at Spartan Stadium in San Jose this year, come on down and see their opener on May 31st at 7pm against the LA Riptide.
GO SHARKS (Just practicing for the fall)