Wednesday, December 13, 2006

12/12 sharks 3, LOS ANGELES 1






Joe Pavelski: his name, synonymous with greatness. Well, maybe not quite yet, but 7 goals in 10 career NHL games ain't too shabby. Pavelski added goals number 6 and 7 last night and Steve Bernier recorded his 10th of the year as the Sharks continued their recent dominance of their Southern California rivals with a 3-1 victory over the Kings in L.A. on Tuesday. Evgeni Nabokov made 36 saves for his 9th win of the year. Nabokov has allowed four goals in his last 5 games.

The Kings out-shot the Sharks by a large margin for much of the game, holding a 32-16 margin after two periods. A lackluster 3rd period effort by the Kings saw only five shots, but a Lubomir Visnovsky shot that bounced off both Mike Grier and Matt Carle found its way past Evgeni Nabokov for the only Los Angeles goal of the night.

Having attended three games at Staples this year, I'm enjoying the ease with which I can find my way around the arena. I have been able to get the same seat to all four games in L.A., I've had the ability to make friends with the season ticket holders who sit in the row in front of me (309 row 1 seats 1-4). My supreme social skills have seen me attend three games, talk at length with the people in front of me, and not ask for their names once.

But, in the great spirit of hockey, whether it be playing or watching, friends are a great portion of the game. On this evening, I was able to make friends with Jim, a Sharks STH (Season Ticket Holder, or Super Taco Hotdog, whichever you care to believe) and proud member of 209 (he's the "Go" in the "Go, Sharks" chant heard during the start of the power play). Jim is friends with a Kings STH and attends each Sharks game in L.A. with his buddy.

I also met up with my friend Josh, a guy I've known for years from playing tennis at the local JCC for about 8 years or so. He just happened to be in town with his family and thought it wise to catch the Sharks, who happened to be in town this evening. Good call, Josh, good call.

These two teams meet up again on Thursday in the Northern half of the state at 7:30 PST. The Sharks have won 15 of the last 18 against the Kings, hopefully the teal-clad crazies see #16 tomorrow.

Go Sharks (BEAT LA) (go Jess, having two parenthetical statements, with the second one being a bit of a cop-out)
-Jess




Staples, lit up green, just like the colors of the Kings, or something.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home